Click to Home
Go To Search

Fremont Police Department, Home

Posted on: April 12, 2017

April 9, 2017 - Officer Involved Shooting Press Release

On April 9, 2017, at about 11:37 p.m., Fremont Dispatch received a request for emergency assistance from the East Bay Regional Parks Police Dispatch center.  They provided information that an officer from their department was investigating a report of a person with a gun, and could not be reached on his police radio.  The investigation revealed that the East Bay Regional Parks Police officer was flagged down by a victim who told the officer that a subject now in a vehicle had brandished a firearm at him.  The victim told the officer that while inside of the convenience store, located at the intersection of Decoto Road and Fremont Boulevard, the suspect, later identified as  Roger Anthony Perez, 24 years old, a Fremont resident, approached him and offered to sell him marijuana.   The victim declined and stated he does not use drugs.  Moments later, the victim asked Perez to hurry his transaction after Perez refused to show I.D. to the store cler k when attempting to purchase an alcoholic beverage.  Perez then lifted his shirt and showed the victim, in a threatening manner, a firearm that was tucked into his waistband.  Once Perez left the store, he entered a vehicle parked on the side of the building.  The victim called 911 and then contacted the East Bay Regional Parks Police officer who happened to be driving into the parking lot of the store. 

The East Bay Regional Parks Police officer initiated an enforcement stop in the parking lot of the convenience store and attempted to detain the five occupants of the vehicle.  A number of uniformed Fremont Police officers responded to assist the lone East Bay Regional Parks Police officer using their lights and sirens.  As Fremont Police personnel arrived, Perez ran from the vehicle across Fremont Boulevard towards the shopping center located on the south/east side of the intersection.  The other four occupants stayed in the vehicle and were subsequently detained once sufficient Fremont Police personnel arrived on the scene.
Responding Fremont Police officers immediately began searching the area for Perez.  A member of the community directed an officer to the rear of the shopping center.  As the officer drove to the rear of the complex, he located Perez on top of a parked box style moving truck.  The officer began giving  Perez commands.  Perez initially gave the appearance of following instructions by standing up with his hands raised.  Perez quickly ducked down behind the elevated portion of the truck’s cargo box, out of view of the officers.  Officers continued to give Perez commands to show his hands.  Perez suddenly reemerged, stood and started shooting at the officers.  Two officers returned fire at Perez.  Perez again ducked down out of view of the officers. The officers felt that Perez was contained.  A perimeter around the truck was immediately established.  At that time the officers did not know if Perez had been struck by gunfir e.

Due to Perez’s sudden and violent attack, lack of lighting at the scene and Perez’s elevated position on top of the vehicle, FPD SWAT was called.   A California Highway Patrol Air Unit responded to assist and located Perez lying on top of the box truck.  Numerous attempts to communicate with Perez were unsuccessful.  The Air Unit personnel relayed information that Perez was not moving.   The Fremont SWAT team later arrived and continued efforts to communicate and approach Perez.  FPD SWAT utilized an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to gather information on Perez’s condition and identify a safe approach.    Once officers were able to approach Perez with medical personnel, he was pronounced deceased.  A loaded firearm was located in Perez’s hand.

Within hours, the Newark Police Department notified us of an attempted armed robbery that occurred in the city of Newark just prior to the incident in Fremont.  In the Newark incident, the same suspect (Perez) confronted several patrons in the parking lot of a bar.   Perez made a comment to those victims about buying or selling drugs and said he was going to take their money.  Perez then punched one of the victims and ultimately pointed a handgun at them.  Perez fled in the same vehicle in which he was later located in Fremont.

At this time, we do not know the origin of the firearm.  We are investigating the source of the weapon and how Perez obtained the gun.  

Fremont Police Department patrol vehicles are equipped with in-car video camera recorders. The majority of this incident was captured on video.    

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau conducted an autopsy and determined the manner of death to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. 

The incident is being investigated by the Fremont Police Department.  A separate and parallel investigation is being conducted by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office.

We are presently evaluating potential ties these events may have to a recognized violent street gang.  As a result, the names of the involved officers are currently being withheld based on safety and security concerns. 

If anyone has information about this incident, please contact Fremont Police Investigations Division at 510-790-6900.

Press/Media:  Please contact our media relations number at 510-790-6802 or

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Fremont Police Department, Home


City of Fremont Joins Nextdoor

Posted on: October 11, 2018